Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Angel Food Cake Failure

My mom's favorite cake is Angel Food Cake, which (having lived in the USA with ample supply of said cakes) I had never made before. I thought of it earlier this year before my mom was going to visit us and decided to give it a try.
Lest you believe all my baking comes out perfect... here is an example of a decent failure. Angel food cake baked in a non-stick Bundt pan is not so pretty. It turns out that Angel food cake needs an non-non-stick pan. It needs to stick. The best thing to use is a non-coated tube pan. Otherwise, the sad cake will just slide down the sides of the non-stick pan, ending up a big goopy mess:
Since I was not to be deterred, and wasn't ready to purchase a tube pan, I decided to ask the internet for advice. When I tried a rectangular glass 9x13 inch baking dish, I had slightly better results, albeit still not pretty- with the cake only reaching about 1.5 inches in height. I guess I'll ask for a tube pan for my birthday this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment